Why should I join the Cabeza Prieta Natural History Association?
If you enjoy any or all aspects of the desert and want to learn more about them, that is reason enough. However, if you feel like you would want to contribute to ongoing and future activities and projects by being a participant and or volunteer, that is all the more reason.
Activities and Projects In Need of Volunteers and Participants
- Lecture series: Setting up the lecture series requires someone to contact potential speakers and confirm their subject and date. Volunteers are needed to help move chairs and tables and bring visual materials, if needed, to the meeting place. Members can help by suggesting topics and assisting with publicizing.
- Bookstore at the Farmer's Market:The CPNHA has established a bookstore which offers materials of an educational and interpretative nature related to the Sonoran Desert. Member volunteers involved in all phases of the operation of the store are needed. Members themselves are encouraged to create materials as fits their individual talents.
- Childs Mountain Pot Luck Events: Members can help by serving as gatekeepers and docents to explain what is seen and answer questions. Setup and cleanup assistance is also needed.
- Audubon Christmas Bird Count: Most of the participants in the two area Christmas Bird Counts (Ajo/Cabeza Prieta and Sierra Pinta) are Association Members. Members assist each other and non-member participants with techniques and bird identification.
- Members may assist Refuge personnel with setting up and conducting the bird counts.
- Volunteer to take a sector in either the greater Ajo area bird count or the count at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.
- The Sonoran Shindig is a biennial festival celebrating the Sonoran Desert and providing educational and interpretative displays. Association members, in addition to setting up their own booth, provide assistance in planning and general set-up and can be called upon to provide some financial assistance for educational displays.
- Sonoran Desert Photo Show: the Photo Show is an annual event sponsored by the Association in which anyone can enter a photograph, or photos, of a variety of subjects matter relating to the Sonoran Desert, including topics like "Desert Plants," "Desert Animals," etc. The Show usually goes up in early March and remains up for the month of March, at the atrium of the Art Under the Arches Gallery in the Ajo Plaza. Entry forms with all the rules are usually available at the Copper News Bookstore; the Ajo Chamber of Commerce, or at Art Under the Arches Gallery. Dust off your best desert photos and enter the Photo Show!
- Field Trip and Desert Walks Program: the Association is in the process of establishing a regular annual program of field trips and desert walks, led by outside experts or by knowledgeable members, with walks in the desert that focus on the natural history of the Sonoran Desert, it all its myriad and interrelated forms.
Message to the Membership January 2022
Membership in The Association Is Open to Everyone
Membership Dues: Annual Individual: $10. Annual Family: $15. Lifetime Individual: $60.
For help with membership questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is a mail-in Membership Application.
For help with membership contact (email@example.com)
Copyright Creative Commons
HTML & Programing by
Thomas R. Powell